Just a real quick update this morning before work. I’m two days in to NaNoWriMo and so far things are going pretty well.

On day one, I wrote during my lunch break and then again in the evening. I hit 2474 words, which is more than the daily quota of about 1667. So this felt like a good start.

When I actually started writing, I ended up taking my first couple scenes in different directions from what I had originally planned (not that I had really planned much; I really wasn’t sure how to start the story until I sat down and started writing), and I introduced a few characters that I hadn’t really anticipated before. I’m not positive, but these characters may lead to a subplot (or play a role in the main plot). I was really afraid that when I started, I’d run out of ideas in the first ten minutes, so I’m thrilled that my brain seems to be generating new ideas on the fly, right as I type.

Yesterday was a little more difficult. I took dogs on a walk during lunch time, so that used up that time (Myka and Darwin liked being a higher priority though). I had to do most of my writing in the evening, after we came home from the Day of the Dead parade. So I didn’t really have time to start writing for real until about 8:30. Then I somehow got hung up writing a scene in an airport (again, not something I had planned before). I haven’t actually flown in a few years, so my airport memories are a bit hazy. No idea if this scene is any good or not. I didn’t go much over my quota this time, but I did at least meet it with 1658 words. And my character is still sitting on an airplane, so I’ll have to finish up that today.

On another note, I’m very happy that so far it has worked to write on my laptop in the living room. I spend all day in my home office for work, so the last thing I want to do during non-work time is sit in there for a few more hours. Besides, Renee and all the dogs are in the living room, and I like being near them. I’ve discovered that with a pair of noise-canceling headphones and some music I completely block out the TV and can focus on the writing.

The first day I went with some older heavy metal music (Iced Earth). Last night it was Flogging Molly. It seems like fast music works the best for me so far.

That’s about it. I’m not sure what time I’ll write today — probably after dinner. Hopefully I’ll keep discovering new characters and story lines as I go!